[Ti] Re: Hard Drive Not Recognized

Ron 'Hollywood' Parro ronparro at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 12:17:18 PST 2007

> On January 9, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley <TrevorHutley at consultant.com>
> Date: January 9, 2007 5:07:57 AM MST

> On 9 Jan 2007, at 07:44, Ron 'Hollywood' Parro wrote:
>
>> 	I recently had my hard drive upgraded to a larger size and told the
>> people who did it to put the old drive in an external case so I could
>> wipe it and use it for a backup. There was nothing wrong with it.
>> 	I got a brand new external case with a FireWire cord and plugged it
>> in to my PB G4 and it recognized once but now it won't. I have tried
>> everything I know but my expertise is in old-school  Mac and I can't
>> think of anything else to try with OS X 10.3.9
>
> Ron - what I would do first is
>
> (1) restart in Safe Mode - holding down the Shift key during startup
> (2) when start up is complete, plug in the FW disk to the PB
>
> See if the disk is recognised by the Finder (appears on the desktop)
>

> 	Does Disk Utilities recognise the drive ?
>
> 	Do you have Disk Warrior or Drive Genius?
>
> I might also start the PB with the system disc, and open disk utility
> from that menu, and see if it recognises the FW disk.
>
> With answers on these attempts, we might be nearer to understanding
> what the problem is.
>
> regards,  Trevor

Trevor,
	I tried everything you suggested with no success. I don't have any
disk utilities other than the Apple one that comes with OS X and it
doesn't recognize the drive.

	Another clue is a cheapo flash drive I try in the same bus (it just
plugs directly in) works sporadically. I don't use it much because it
causes my PB to act weird and slow. I have saved stuff on the flash
drive so I think the bus is OK.

	I don't have another Mac to plug into but I will research that
possibility as soon as it WARMS UP!

	Anything else I can try while I am trapped in my basement?

Ron 'Hollywood' Parro ;>{)
http://www.greality.com/Hollywood/
"Most writers in the course of their careers become thick-skinned and
learn to accept vituperation, which in any other profession would be
unimaginably offensive, as a healthy counterpoise to unintelligent
praise."
        — Evelyn Waugh, English novelist, The New York Times, 1952