[Ti] Diagnostic assist for Titanium PowerBook needed

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 30 08:14:41 PST 2007

My first guess would be that the display cable is pinched, of course,
although I've never seen that affect the external display too.  But,
before you replace the logic board, I'd suggest unplugging the LVDS
cable to the display.  That's the one that carries the video signal
(but not the power for the backlight).  It has a ton of very thin
wires, and, IIRC, runs through the left hinge.  Some of the power
cables might have shorted, for example, which might cause it to not
boot.  It's not hard to get to; just take off the bottom cover and
you should see it.  While you have it open, you could also try
unplugging the inverter cable (two wires, generally pink and white)
that runs through the other hinge, but it's not as easy to get to -
you'd probably have to take out the whole logic board.

Anyway, if you still have problems getting it to boot with an
external display connected, then I'd say the logic board is a safe
bet.  Otherwise (or with no testing at all), I'd probably put my
money on the display itself - which generally goes for a lot more
than $150.

Kynan Shook
kashook at wisc.edu
http://homepage.mac.com/kynan/