[Ti] Diagnostic assist for Titanium PowerBook needed

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 11:30:47 PST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> Anyway, if you still have problems getting it to boot with an
> external display connected, then I'd say the logic board is a safe
> bet.  Otherwise (or with no testing at all), I'd probably put my
> money on the display itself - which generally goes for a lot more
> than $150.

Thanks, Kynan. Not sure if I want to disassemble too much on
diagnosis yet, depending upon how difficult that is (I do have the
disassembly docs).

To provide a little more detail, When I press the power button, it
does spin up the disk and ring the chime every time. Then it goes no
further, disk spinning, display blank and no disk head activity. I
don't see any damage in the hinge wiring and the broken hinge didn't
seem to affect or stress the wiring (it only had just cracked on one
part; no misalignment). Jiggling the wiring while it was on and
working didn't seem to affect anything.

Since the external display is also affected when it freezes up and
scrambles the screen, I was starting to discount the display or
display wiring. However, perhaps the glueing and clamping operation
affected the wiring inside the display. If that's the case, I can
probably just run it headless as a server or with an external display.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com