[Ti] OT - mac & gps

Jean-Paul Thuot fearsome.orange at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 07:08:50 PDT 2007

As a surveyor I've used both Garmin and Magellan handhelds.  My
suggestion is to just go into a shop and take a look at both.
Magellan tends to have larger screens on their handhelds, but the
interface is clunkier than Garmins.  Overall I prefer Garmin.

Whichever you get, make sure you get one that is USB, not Serial.

One other option is to get a Palm pilot that has bluetooth, and a GPS
unit to go with it.  They have bigger screens and you'll have more
options in terms of software to go with it.

For software on the Mac, take a look at GPSBabel+.  Works great with
just about any GPS unit you'll buy.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul