[Ti] OT - mac & gps

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Mon Jul 23 08:37:02 PDT 2007

I have a Garmin Nuvi 650 for driving and for walking (it has settings
for both). It has a wide, bright screen and works really well IMHO.
For a $100 or so more you can get a Nuvi 660 that can handle hands-
free Bluetooth phones (Cell phones are something I have decided to
stay away from and try to keep my brain cells intact). These Nuvis
have SD card slots that you can upload music and pictures to (it has
a music player and photo display). You can also upload POI. special
interest data and maps to the card. Also you can use a traffic FM
unit that for a monthly fee will direct you away from traffic problems.

For hiking I use a Garmin eTrex Vista handheld. This little sucker is
a very powerful unit that keeps track of where you are, where you
have been and where you need to go. But to use trail maps, you need
something like RouteBuddy or MacGPS to work with your unit. It is a
serial unit so you need a Keyspan USB/Serial adaptor, and unless you
have BootCamp and Windows installed on your computer, you will find
it quite frustrating to to get data in and out of it.

If I was starting over, I would ditch the eTrex Vista and get one of
the newer eTrex colour units with a USB interface and an SD card slot.

jg