[Ti] TiBook Overheating

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Sun Jun 10 06:13:19 PDT 2007

On 10 Jun 2007, at 04:16, Rafe Day wrote:

> I'm currently getting about 30
> minutes of work time before I need to give it a 20 minute break.
> Since I
> live on this thing, those aren't optimal working conditions.

Rafe - since you checked all the physical things, it is now perhaps
just a question of amount of heat generated versus amount of heat lost.

I know that when I have many applications running, particularly CPU
intense ones such Virtual PC, my aluminium Powerbook gets pretty hot
and the fans are working hard.

This is more so now that the ambient temperature has risen by 3°C in
our apartment (summer approaching).

So I minimize the number of applications open.  Use a utility that
shows the CPU % use to help in that process?

I also keep the back edge of my Powerbook about 1 cm off the glass
desk top, to improve ventilation / convective heat loss.

When I had a Titanium Powerbook, I had a Tote'n'Tilt handle that also
used to keep the back edge of the Powerbook off the table about 1 cm.
I miss that handle.....

My friend, who  has a Dell laptop, cooks his bacon and eggs for
breakfast on his trackpad, so we must not complain too much.

regards,  Trevor