[Ti] TiBook Gigabit Ethernet Replacement advice sought

alexandre mac at kapellos.com
Wed May 9 14:22:07 PDT 2007

On 9 mai 07, at 20:11, Arjan Bos wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I've been part of this list since I bought my TiBook 667 Gigabit
> Ethernet in March 2002. I've always valued the collective wisdom of
> its crowd[1]. And now the time has come for me to sap into this
> wisdom.
>
> I would very much like to replace my TiBook with something brand-
> new and shiny and I'm contemplating between the various MacBook and
> MacBook Pro options available. I use mine for administration,
> excel, word, pages, iPhoto, iWeb and some java development of a
> client-server app which runs a PostgreSQL data base. I'm
> contemplating learning Objective C and using XCode.
>
> I would very much value your input on the following points,
> especially on the Rosetta performance.
>
> Apps: Does Microsoft Office under Rosetta outperform my TiBook?
> Will it outperform my PowerMac G4 1.42Ghz dp?
> Does the PowerMac G4 run Photoshop CS faster or slower than a
> MacBook or MacBook Pro?
>
> Hard disk: should I go for speed or size?
> Video: Should I go for the MBP [2]
> Screen: Do I really want glossy? Do I need a 17", or will the
> MacBook screen be suffficient?

hi arjan

if i'm not mistaken, even though the screen is physically small on
the macbook than on your Ti667, the macbook does have more pixels
(=more information on screen)

as for rosetta performance, i use office 2004 everyday and i haven't
noticed a difference in terms of speed compared to my 1.5ghz g4
powerbook. it's a non-issue for me.
i would say the same for photoshop, i use it often but my files
rarely exceed 80mb.

hard disk speed: previously i had a 100gb @ 7200 rpm drive in my g4
laptop, now i have a 160gb @ 5400. space eventually became more
important than speed. your mileage my vary.

video: not for what you plan to use it for.

screen: my 17" macbook pro is a beautiful machine, with a lot of
screen real-estate. but this comes at a price (weight!). in this
sense, i do miss my 12" powerbook in terms of portability. the
question is: will you be moving around alot?

hope this helps…

alexandre
:: 17" 2.33ghz ic2d macbook pro / 2.0gb / 160gb / X.4.9 ::
:: 24" 2.33ghz ic2d imac / 2.0gb / 250gb / X.4.9 ::