[Ti] TiBook Gigabit Ethernet Replacement advice sought

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Thu May 10 15:28:04 PDT 2007

On May 9, 2007, at Wed, May 9 2007, 1:11 pm, Arjan Bos wrote:

> Apps: Does Microsoft Office under Rosetta outperform my TiBook?

Yes, most likely, but it's not as fast as it could be. It does leak
memory, so you'll want to shut it down now and then and relaunch.
This all goes away in the fall when the Universal binary comes out
(if it's on schedule). It should run really fast then.

> Will it outperform my PowerMac G4 1.42Ghz dp?

It should, but it depends upon your use. Maybe not with a lot of
Rosetta apps, but there aren't many of those left.

> Hard disk: should I go for speed or size?

Size. Otherwise you'll be futzing with moving stuff around and onto
other drives too much. Get the biggest disk you can.

> Video: Should I go for the MBP [2]

Yes, if your budget supports it. The expansion slot, larger screen,
other performance features and firewire 800 are worth it.  The
MacBook is a consumer machine, the MacBook Pro a professional
machine. Decide which your use will really be and purchase accordingly.

> Screen: Do I really want glossy? Do I need a 17", or will the
> MacBook screen be suffficient?

Strictly personal taste. For graphics, it's better than matte. I love
mine. If you have a lot of overhead lights or bright windows, you'll
get reflections. If you keep it tipped down a bit, you'll be OK. It
just looks a lot better - trust the Apple designers on this. Others,
however, will strongly disagree and don't like it at all. Go to the
Apple store and mess around with both. Decide from that.

I'd go for the portability of 15" machine. The 17" machine is a lot
to lug around and is more clumsy. It's a great machine for graphics
folks who need to show clients stuff or who have to work on the move
a lot. Otherwise, if you really want screen real estate, get a 19"
LCD monitor and plug into that. Having the two screens, one 12" tall,
increases productivity and ease of use immensely.

--
Dennis Fazio