[Ti] Screen has gone blank

Scott Strehlow strehlow at usermail.com
Fri Apr 18 04:29:32 PDT 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 5:39 AM, Arne Hulstein wrote:

> The part that I see is in the upper 30%. It pretty much looks like
> it should. As that part emits quite a bit of light, I have not been
> able to make out much in the lower 60%. The light part seems to
> only show part of the screen, though I can not confirm it is the
> exact same part it should show.

If any part of the screen is illuminated then the inverter board is
functioning.  If I recall correctly, there are several separate
fluorescent emitters in the screen.  The connection to one or more is
broken.  The easy fix is to replace the screen.  You can open it and
look for a connection problem.  The screen is glued together but it
can be opened.  I had to do that to replace a broken hinge.  The glue
they use is not super strong.  Remove the small screws in the border
that attach to the hinge, then slowly and carefully pry the layers
apart with a wide blade, such as a putty knife.
To reassemble, I forget which glue I used but I'd avoid something
really strong like epoxy in case you need to fix it again.  "Shoe
Goo" or a similar would probably work ok.  Even a cyanacrylate (like
Super Glue) would work well if used sparingly.  Test the light before
gluing anything...  If you use a stinky organic-solvent glue like
Shoe Goo, test a bit on the plastic parts first to make sure the
solvent doesn't damage it.  Once it is together, clamp lightly by
putting a book on it to make sure the frame is not bowed while it dries.

Cheers,

Scott