[Ti] Ti PB 867 won't play with OS 9 at all

Don Williams don40 at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 12 02:21:25 PDT 2008

Thanks to all those who have offered help with this problem. I have
been offline for some 32 hours due to an extensive power failure
caused by a wild storm.

Here is the current situation:

The PB will not boot from an OS 9.0.4 retail disk - just gives the
flashing ?.
Also will not boot from an OS 9.2.2 disk identified as a Power Mac G4
install - same result.

I managed to find my old iMac software install and software restore
disks, both of which have OS 9.1. The PB did get about 15% into a
startup from the CD-ROM (and I thought I had it licked) then stopped
with a system error type 11. So I tried again with the shift key down
(no extensions) with the same result. This happens with both disks.
That iMac i gave to one of my other sons, who lives about 400 km away
so I can't just pop over and try the disks in that -- although it
won't help with the PB anyway.

When I copied that iMac disk system folder to the PB and started
Classic from it, an initial message said it was 9.1 and 9.2 is
recommended. But it let me continue and then gave me the message that
the system can only run on the original media and not when copied.
That same message appears also if I copy the system folder from the OS
9.0.4 and OS 9.2.2 disks. So although I should be able to just copy a
system folder, it does not work on this PB.

So I seem to have reached a dead end on this one. Even if I did get to
the original iMac and used it to update 9.1 to 9.2, then copied the
system folder to try on the PB, the experience so far suggests it
won't work.

Sigh ...

Don