[Ti] PAL on TiBook?

James Herndon dermdoch at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 20 15:20:15 PDT 2008

Read,

Trevor's memory was accurate. In 2004 a member of this group provided
a web address (http://superdrive.cynikal.net/) from which the user
could download patches able to update the firmware in UJ-815 and
UJ-816 superdrives released before April 2004. The instructions were
somewhat elaborate but the superdrives were rendered region-free. PAL
format was not specifically mentioned, but apparently those disks
played also.

Jim Herndon

On Sunday, July 20, 20083:43 PM, at 3:43 PM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

On 20 Jul 2008, at 20:17, Read Weaver wrote:

> Anyone know if the optical drive on a TiBook would play PAL (i.e.,
> non-US format) DVDs? Or know of a way to figure it out without a PAL
> disk at hand?

My Ti-500 was stolen in 2003, so I am working from memory: it was a US-
origin (MacMall) Ti-book, I was living in Geneva at the time, and it
used to play DVD / VCD from every region of the world.
I had to 'upgrade' the firmware to make it region-free.

T.