[Ti] PAL on TiBook?

Fred fred at mindstate.com
Sun Jul 20 18:19:33 PDT 2008

> From: James Herndon <dermdoch at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] PAL on TiBook?
>
> Read,
>
> Trevor's memory was accurate. In 2004 a member of this group provided
> a web address (http://superdrive.cynikal.net/) from which the user
> could download patches able to update the firmware in UJ-815 and
> UJ-816 superdrives released before April 2004. The instructions were
> somewhat elaborate but the superdrives were rendered region-free. PAL
> format was not specifically mentioned, but apparently those disks
> played also.
>
> Jim Herndon

> On 20 Jul 2008, at 20:17, Read Weaver wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if the optical drive on a TiBook would play PAL (i.e.,
>> non-US format) DVDs? Or know of a way to figure it out without a PAL
>> disk at hand?

That was me :) And it is quite simple actually.  Make sure your book is
plugged.  Download the proper file.  Close all apps.  Using system profiler
make sure you have the right drive and file.  Run the firmware update and
just do what it says and violà.  Done.  Region Free.  Alot of the newer
drives do not have any region free options as development stopped on this
and with the app VIC there is no need to really have to do it anymore.
Cheers
Fred