[Ti] drive Matshita UJ-845s not spinning up disc occasionally

MB digital.discuss at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 01:04:56 PDT 2008

I have a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-845S, revision d100, in my titanium mercury
and it has been great. Lately though it often refuses to spin up the
drive on inserting a new disc. It just makes a strange unfamiliar noise.
A few times tapping on the top next to the keyboard makes it spin up,
but usually I have to restart and reinsert it several times until makes
the more familiar squelching noises and spins up the disc.

After this point the disc work fine and does usually spin up anew even
if it's not spinning.

It burns discs, CDs or DVDs, that do work. No problems there.

Anyone recognizes this kind of problem either generally or specifically
with this drive or have any useful thoughts about it and its resolution?

Mikael

Technoids:
OS X 10.4.8 | Powerbook G4/400 | 1GB / 80GB