[Ti] Problem with Hard Drive Alim ?

zefred zefred at popstar.com
Fri Nov 21 08:27:30 PST 2008

Hi all !

Yesterday, my dearly (and only....) powerbook g4 DVI 1ghz suddenly
died after some liquid was spilled on the table it was resting on.

Apparently, the liquid has not penetated the insides of the PB, just
spread under it.

Here are the symptoms :

- When turned on, everything seems to work, but no sound from the hard
drive (no spinning).
- Non syetm disk question mark

- When booted on a system DVD, everything works perfectly, but doesn't
see the HD (still no sound from the HD spinning)

- When booted from the hardware test disk, no problem at all, except
that it dosn't see the HD again. It looks like it's seeing the ATA
port, but nothing on it.

Now, I removed the HD from the laptop to check it on another computer
via Firewire, and it works perfectly too. I even booted the laptop
with this same hard drive, but coonected in an external case from the
firewire port!

So my guess is that the HD is no longer powered by the Powerbook, but
how do I fix that ?

The PB works on Battery, without battery on charger, and when plugged
in with the battery, it's charging, so it doesn't look like a
powerInDC board problem.

My PCMCIA port died in the same way a few months ago, but I don't need
it that often, so it wasn't really a problem...

Any suggestion except taking the PB to Apple (can't afford that...) or
buying a new one (can't afford that either for now, but it's in the
plans for the next months...) ?

THanks guys.