[Ti] System Drive problem

Bill Palmer whpalmer4 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 10:55:09 PDT 2008

There are only two kinds of hard drive mechanisms -- those that have already failed, and those that eventually will.  Yours is the latter, well on the way to becoming the former.  You should take immediate steps to get your data onto something more reliable.  My recommendation is an external Firewire disk at least as large as the failing disk, plus a copy of SuperDuper!  SuperDuper! will make a bootable clone of your disk on the external drive.  Do that regularly and you can simply boot from the external disk when the internal drive inevitably fails.  Then you can use SuperDuper! to clone the bits from the external back onto your newly replaced drive.  If you're a do-it-yourself kind of guy, you can get a replacement drive from Other World Computing or the like along with an inexpensive external drive case, clone the disk, and then install the new disk in the computer to replace the old one.  If you value the data on the disk, don't put this off...

Good luck!

Bill