[Ti] where's the "short"?

J Winter day at whidbey.net
Thu Sep 25 21:40:35 PDT 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Dennis Fazio wrote:

> see if you can narrow down what kind of flexing is required to make
> it fail. That might help to localize it.

It seems to be any of these:

- I  pick up book (open or closed)  by the sides (near keyboard). I
think the outside edge of case near left-side of keyboard  (near
asdf ? ) *might* be the "sore" spot. i.e., Everything is fine. I
"tap" it somewhere on the side of case (keyboard portion) while
moving it), and the screen goes dark. (I verify that it is not just
asleep by pressing capslock or function-keys that change the
lightnig. If none of those have any effect, then, I know it was not,
say, an inadvertent touchpad motion that moved cursor to a hot corner.

- put Mac to sleep. Put in computer case. Put in briefcase/backpack.
Few hours later (battery still fully charged), when I take out
computer to wake it from sleep, it needs me to boot it up instead.
i.e., I could have "tapped" it while placing it in the case, or any
time through the day.

Note that when this happens, i do not hear any noise, telling me that
it is shutting down. It just stops cold. (That may be artifact of the
dead PRAM battery, which will be replaced when we open the case.)
After this happens, initial restart says the year is 1969, which
tells me that the PRAM battery needs replacing.

thanks for any ideas. We'll be taking it apart next week or the
following. First, I am ordering the parts i KNOW I need. I am trying
to figure out if there's anything else I KNOW I should order, so I
could order it at same time.

FWIW, a second screw on bottom of case is starting to come loose.

Thanks.
Oh. I am glad to have discovered that there is a Ti list. :-)