[Ti] computing power [laptops]

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Apr 7 07:29:44 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> Do PC laptops really have more computing power than a [comparable
> specification] MacBook (Pro) ?
>
> In Ti days, I used to have a program that determined the 'speed' of
> my Ti-book in gigaflops, but can no longer recall what that software
> was.
> Is there anything like that we can use these days on Intel-based Macs?

Depends what you mean by "computing power"

If you mean raw Linpack megaflops, equivalently spec'ed machines are
about the same since they use the same processors and memory
architectures.

If you mean graphics display performance, that's strictly a function
of the graphics accelerator hardware, again which is the same Nvidia
and ATI Radeon chipsets.

If you mean interactive responsiveness based on a person sitting at a
workstation launching Excel, Word et al, that's where Windows and OS X
come into play. In many cases, Windows may seem quicker on the Office
apps because of the heavy pre-caching they do by loading a lot of the
stuff ahead of launch.

On other apps, it depends upon how the developer invested their
optimization resources. E.g. something like Photoshop may be faster on
one than other because it was more optimized for running on one OS vs
the other.).

For equivalently configured and spec'ed machines, their performances
should be about the same when doing things that don't depend upon the
OS.

One thing that's clear is that Apple does not build low-cost lower-
performing machines, so the MacBooks and iMacs will never come out
ahead in a price/performance matchup with many bargain PCs. When you
get up to higher-performance equivalently spec'ed MacBook Pros and Pro
desktops, the price/performance/feature numbers are pretty well
matched up.

The current Microsoft ads are targeting highly cost-conscious
consumers, and PCs will be a better price/performance buy in that
market segment. But for those consumers for which other aspects like
overall usefulness, features, software apps, reliability and design
are also important (and that is a large portion of the consumer
population). Macbooks and iMacs do just fine.

In short, it's a false comparison, because the products are oriented
to different market segments.
The aesthetics (and smart design) are definitely there in Macs and not
PCs. The "computing power" requires a lot more explanation that is
well beyond the capability (or interest) of a 30 or 60 second TV spot.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com