[Ti] why people use a tibook

Clare O'Farrell c.ofarrell at qut.edu.au
Tue Mar 24 18:44:20 PDT 2009

I hope people won't mind a complete newbie posting.

I bought a tibook 500 mhz 3 years ago second hand on ebay and I love
it. I have just bought a new 1 gig tibook and ebay and am waiting to
get my hands on it to see if I like it as much. If I don't I will
sell it on and upgrade my 500 mhz to the max.

I was interested in why other people are sticking to their tibooks as
opposed to using a new macbook or macbook pro.

I just gave a 2008 macbook pro a try for a week and ended up with a
migraine and bad eyestrain.

Here are my own reasons for loving the tibook

1. On my tibook I am using 10.3.9 with all the font smoothing taken
out by tinkertool - so nice crisp font. (I believe you can't take all
the font smoothing out from 10.4 onwards)

2. The screen brightness is just right (too bright on the macbook pro
and no amount of tweaking the calibrations helped)

3. The resolution is not too high so everything isn't absolutely tiny
as well as fuzzy (as it is on the macbook pro with 10.5)

4. The tibook feels as though it is lovingly crafted for the user. I
don't know what it was about the macbook pro (probably the eyestrain)
but I just didn't feel that the same care had gone into it as the
tibook. All the functions and speed are good etc of course and I
would love to have those on a legible computer (!)

5. The tibook just keeps going without a hitch - slowly admittedly!

--
regards
Clare
email: c.ofarrell at qut.edu.au