[Ti] The little Mercury passed away

MB digital.discuss at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 16:14:30 PDT 2009

Kent told:

>Hi group!
>Just a note to tell you that my Titanium Powerbook has passed on.
> Screen wouldn't come back and I couldn't justify throwing more money at
>a 500Mhz machine.

My 400Mhz freak TiBook machine (made of different parts of different
models)  died too last year and I've spent $4-500 dollars on a 2  logic
boards -  one being an ALU - my mistake ;-) - one bought from a company
selling on ebay surprisingly being in need of re-soldering for the power
and in the end it couldn't be saved. Unfortunately I couldn't test the
board before several months had passed, so I don't think they would let
me turn it back.

Now, I have 4 or if it's 5 TiBooks in various states of decomposition,
but no working logic board. So after spending all of those dollars I
feel like giving up. I've started to part out what can be sold, power
supplies, display, keyboards, RAM and so on.

My ex-GF recently agreed to sell me her 550 for $100 with 1GB RAM and as
I have the Dual 2.0 G5 for main work now I was thinking perhaps I could
use this with Leopard. or if that's too slow or too tricky, 10.4 for web
development, email and web only. I use Dreamweaver CS x.x, BBedit 8 or
perhaps Coda (haven't decided yet to purchase this one to replace the
older dev-apps), Eclipse and some Photoshop ( I can make do with PS 7).

Is $100 for a Gigabit 550 too steep in this day and age, you think? I'll
probably get about that for parts and the alternative route would be to
get another 1Ghz logic board for about $200 or more, if I can find one
at all. And then there would be no guarantee it would work, even though
the board I have works if you don't move the display.

Possibly I need to get a bigger and faster hard drive, but perhaps not.
I might have one at work I can nip. I have a D/L drive I can put in it
I'm sure and I'll save one extra supply to keep at work.

Anyone need a working 15" 1Ghz ALU logic board? Guaranteed to work.

/Mikael