ZIF INSTALL

George Clarkson grgm at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 18 12:38:09 PST 2002

After installing new ZIF processor the computer went nuts, completely
zonked.
 I gave up and reinstalled , it was still crazy.  This sounded like some of
the situations related to the PRAM battery that I had noted on lists so I
shut down, unplugged and let sit for six hours.
Then it started up normally and nothing had been lost.
I will try again after arranging a bootable back up of some kind as I could
not get to my slaveto use back up.  Wonder if anything would work while the
machine is wonked .  Also will install a new PRAM battery.
Following is summary of steps  taken and machine description.
Did I do something to cause  this reaction and is there anything I can do to
fix it when I try to install again? All insights will be appreciated.
-----
Installation notes;
OWC Mercury  G3/533M Hz ZIF
Installed/set jumpers for 533 MHz ,  66 MHz buss speed (jumpers on
J3,J4,J5,J6,J7.)
installed G3 ZIF processor
Start up: got rolling message² can¹t open...can¹t open...²
Zap PRAM, hit Cuda, repeat several times. same message ³can¹t open²
Gave up
Reinstalled original ZIF and jumpers
Zap PRAM and Cuda, try to start  , won¹t start.  try os9 and osX discs, no
joy, got broken mac, broken ribbon, etc.  Acts completely wonked, Nothing
works.
Unplugged and let sit 6 hours.
Start up: everything normal, no data lost.
-------
Beige DT G3, 233 , 10.2/9.2.2 s/n HB744WGBBV, ROM REV$77D.45F6, 768 RAM, 80
GB Maxtor master partitioned 7.9 gb for X/ 9 gb for os 9/ bal storage ,
Slave 20 gb Maxtor not partitioned contains full Retrospect back up.
External  40gb Mercury Firewire.  (3)PCI slots - (1) usb,  (1) Firewire
-XLR8, (1) open-will be used later by  Raedon 7000 MAC Edition, onboard
Monitor 17" ViewSonic, Epson 980 Printer (USB), Microtek ScanMaker V6-USB,
ZIP 100 (SCSI).