[X-Apps] iMail crashing with bad mail post

Thomas Karns tomak223 at mac.com
Wed Apr 23 11:57:36 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 07:51  AM, Chris Tangora wrote:

>   We have a problem of having one bad email in the iMail application.
> It is
> the first email on the top of the list, and it crashes the computer.
> We
> don't know why, but it does.  Is there any way to manually remove that
> email
> from the list so that we can at least open the email?

This could be tricky, but you should be able to fix it with Finder and
a text editor.  I used BBEdit lite but hopefully you can use TextEdit.
Go to:  /users/your user
name/Library/Mail/POP/tomak223 at mail.mac.com/INBOX.mbox

I used one of my accounts for an example.

Control click on INBOX.mbox and select "show package contents"

Control click on the file "mbox"

Select open with:  In my case there where no options listed so I
clicked other.  Choose a text editor.

No guarantee's here but you can try deleting all the content of the
problem message and save the file.

I do recommend that you make a backup copy of the mbox file before
editing.

Good Luck
Tom K.