[X-Apps] locked mail

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Fri Apr 25 14:32:38 PDT 2003

On Friday, Apr 25, 2003, at 16:08 US/Central, Wright-Miller wrote:

> I am using mail 1.2.5 and I keep getting this error message each time
> I go to my inbox. I have tried unlocking it (made no diffference). I
> have used keychain first aid and have verified permissions and
> verified the disk using the OSX install CD first aid. Any ideas?

Have you tried rebuilding the mailbox?  Open it read only and then use
the Rebuild Mailbox from the Mailbox menu and see if that might do the
trick.  Otherwise, you can certainly do this from the CLI using
Terminal.  However, let's see if the easy thing works first. :)

There is already a lock file for your mail box, so you can't write
another one for your current session.  Perhaps Mail quit unexpectedly
or something like that.   When an application shuts down properly, it
does housekeeping and removes locks files.  If it doesn't have a chance
to shutdown properly (kernel panic, application
crashi...er...unexpectedly quitting), then sometimes these lock files
may not get removed.

(I used to run into this sometimes with netscape crashing on linux; I'd
have to go in via CLI and remove the lock file manually.)

Gretchen