[X-Apps] Safari, IE, bookmarks, frustration...

Allen Watson allenwatson at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 22:08:56 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:33:56 -0500, Gretchen Hayman <gretchen at sedl.org>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003, at 14:56 US/Central, John Pariseau wrote:
>> Are there any good shareware programs to synchronize bookmarks between
>> browsers, or is the best way by hand?
>
> I've heard good things about URL Manager Pro, but haven't gotten it...
> yet. You can find it on the VersionTracker site; it's shareware:
>
> <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10165>

I use URL Manager Pro, but I've been experimenting with Bookit (shareware,
currently in beta), which imports from all kinds of browsers and lets you
organize them all there, and then export the identical file back to each
browser (or to other computers).  I find I keep saving bookmarks in
different browsers instead of remembering to launch UMP and always save
there.

Bookit includes Safari, which is why I got it in the first place, because
Safari does not export its bookmarks at all! UMP can't read them yet,
either. I wanted a way to integrate all the nice bookmarks I'd saved in
Safari for use in other browsers.

Another tool that may help in that latter regard is "Safari Bookmark
Exporter", which just came out on VersionTracker. It's free, and imports
Safari bookmarks and exports them for Internet Explorer, Camino/Chimera,
OmniWeb, or Mozilla/Netscape.
--
Allen <allenwatson at earthlink.net>
Scripts for OE and Entourage: