[X-Apps] Airport signal strength / MacStumbler

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Fri Aug 1 23:15:34 PDT 2003

I've had similar problems with my TiBook 15" 800 MHz. Sometimes I'll
lose the signal strength completely. If that happens during a mail
check or a Slashdock update, the system slows to a crawl and the CPU
usage goes through the ceiling. If I put the book to sleep and wake it
up again, the problem of slowdown is usually resolved and the signal
strength returns to its normal 3 or 4 bars.

Norm
On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 07:58  AM, Ken Rossman wrote:

> My main work machine is a 14" iBook, which also has Airport installed.
> I travel around with it to different places and attach to various
> 802.11
> networks, with varying degrees of success.  I have some questions about
> this, and would be interested in other people's experience.
>
> I can be attached to a given 802.11B network, and come in with a very
> strong signal.  However, during the course of my working on that
> network,
> and without physically moving at all, I see the signal varying widely
> from
> full or near-full strength, all the way down to zero, then back again
> (MacStumbler has been an extremely useful tool for observing this
> "coming and going" nature of the nets).
>
> In any case, I was wondering if other people are having the same kind
> of
> experience with airport networks "coming and going" (varying widely in
> signal strength) during the normal course of usage.  I am wondering if
> my iBook is perhaps a little bit broken (it IS pretty banged up and is
> in a questionable state otherwise).
>
> So is this a problem with my iBook, or is this a symptom that just
> happens with 802.11B nets in general?
>
> Thanks,

Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com