Problem: Apple Talk & Asante Router

Albert D'Amanda adamanda at mac.com
Fri Aug 8 07:03:50 PDT 2003

Hello All

I am trying to connect two macs ,( Backup)  B&W & a ( Primary) G4, Jag
10.2.6 via Appletalk.

I am using an Asante Router FR1004 via Ethernet Ports.
(BTW. The asante works great connecting two macs and a PC into a single
comcast.net line-IP address )

I want  to transfer files from my Main G4 over to the G3 Mac.
At both boxes,  in Network ,Apple Talk is turned ON
At both boxes File Sharing is set to FTP
Have setup ownership & permissions on each of the  Macs bootup drives

The problem is that at each of the macs, opening up the bootup drives,
clicking on Networks and then on Servers, only the mac I am using is
listed. ??

I would expect that both macs would be listed if the Apple Talk Network
is active

I assume this is telling me that I do NOT have an Apple Talk  network
connection between the two Macs?

When I go to Finder -GO -Connect to Server , it asks for an IP address
only. No indication of any panel that says Apple Talk.

So my questions are

1.Will  Apple Talk  work with a ethernet Router ?

2. If so what am I doing wrong ?

2. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial on configuring Apple Talk Network
using Jag?

Both Help and Apple Care via Sherlock are not helpful
The book on OS X I am using does not display the panels that I am
seeing with Jag!
BTW. Back in the "old days", OS9, I used Apple Talk between two macs
w/o any problems-very simple in those days

Albert