[X-Apps] Problem: Apple Talk & Asante Router

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Fri Aug 8 07:43:21 PDT 2003

Albert,
I will look for others to answer your question so that I may learn
something, myself, but in the meantime, I will tell you that I have a
similar setup as yours; 2 beige G3s ethernetted via a FR1004C.
I simply set up file sharing and gave administrative access to each
computer to the other one. Now, the HD for each computer mounts on the
other desktop at startup. You can limit access to specific folders
and/or files via permissions.
Transferring files is as simple as navigating to the HD (or connected
drives) of the other computer and dragging and dropping whatever you
want to transfer.

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 10:03  AM, Albert D'Amanda wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I am trying to connect two macs ,( Backup)  B&W & a ( Primary) G4, Jag
> 10.2.6 via Appletalk.
>
> I am using an Asante Router FR1004 via Ethernet Ports.
> (BTW. The asante works great connecting two macs and a PC into a
> single comcast.net line-IP address )
>
> I want  to transfer files from my Main G4 over to the G3 Mac.
> At both boxes,  in Network ,Apple Talk is turned ON
> At both boxes File Sharing is set to FTP
> Have setup ownership & permissions on each of the  Macs bootup drives
>
> The problem is that at each of the macs, opening up the bootup drives,
> clicking on Networks and then on Servers, only the mac I am using is
> listed. ??
>
> I would expect that both macs would be listed if the Apple Talk
> Network is active
>
> I assume this is telling me that I do NOT have an Apple Talk  network
> connection between the two Macs?
>
> When I go to Finder -GO -Connect to Server , it asks for an IP address
> only. No indication of any panel that says Apple Talk.
>
> So my questions are
>
> 1.Will  Apple Talk  work with a ethernet Router ?
>
> 2. If so what am I doing wrong ?
>
> 2. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial on configuring Apple Talk
> Network using Jag?
>
> Both Help and Apple Care via Sherlock are not helpful
> The book on OS X I am using does not display the panels that I am
> seeing with Jag!
> BTW. Back in the "old days", OS9, I used Apple Talk between two macs
> w/o any problems-very simple in those days
>
> Albert

> <X-Apps-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <X-Apps-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> ----------
> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
> DVIator   | Run Dual ADC displays on your G4 or just one on an older
> Mac! Dr. Bott  | <http://www.drbott.com/prod/DVIator.html>
>
>   Support   | Support this list by clicking here before you buy!
>  this List  |  http://www.themacintoshguy.com/support.html

Regards,

Wayne

Wayne Clodfelter         <wayne at troutnc.com>
"Well, if you wanta talk fishin', I guess that'll be OK" ...Lynyrd
Skynyrd in “Ask me no Questions“
Visit our web page, TROUT, NC on the web, at http://www.troutnc.com