[X-Apps] CCC OK With Panther

hart at nasw.org hart at nasw.org
Mon Dec 29 08:42:56 PST 2003

On Dec 29, 2003, at 5:51 AM, John McGilvary <jmcgilvary at mac.com> wrote:

> From: John McGilvary <jmcgilvary at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [X-Apps] CCC OK With Panther
> Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:13:35 -0500
>
> Is there a way to automate the process to clone (and in doing so to
> overwrite) a drive to a second drive?
> For example, I want to copy 3 specific (plus hidden files) from my Boot
> drive to a secind drive I have for that purpose.
> Ideas?
> John
> On Oct 26, 2003, at 10:41 AM, hart at nasw.org wrote:
>
>> There's a note on the CCC page that psync is broken in Panther. CCC
>> relies on psync to synchronize instead of blind copying, so until
>> that's fixed, CCC will take a much longer time to do routine backups.
>> CCC is still my backup app of choice.
>>
>>> I was able to clone my primary HD / Panther  to an external FW backup
>>> HD using Carbon Copy Cloner. And the  cloned FW HD booted up OK

Since I wrote that note, psync is available for Panther. Check the
Bombich Software site.

CCC has a setting to delete files (and folders, presumably) not on the
source disk. When I want a completely clean, new clone, I erase the
target drive first.

You say you want to copy "3 specific (plus hidden files)" but a word
got left out. If you want to clone only certain folders, you can do
that in CCC, but only if the folders at the top level of the drive. If
you want more control than that, you'll need a more complex
application, such as TriBackup.

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com