mail.app and MS mail server

Jay Snyder jay.snyder at verizon.net
Thu Jan 23 10:38:15 PST 2003

Very simple answer to this.   Entourage and Outlook both talk to MS Exchange
server with a MS Proprietary (and undocumented to the outside world)
protocol.   Apple Mail (and any non-MS product) doesn't know this protocol.
To satisfy the DOJ, Exchange Server also supports connections via standard
protocols such as POP3, IMAP, and SMTP, but these are turned off by default,
and most MS-centric IT depts. don't turn it on because they have been
brainwashed by their MSCE training that everything is to be done the MS way
or NO way.

For this reason, I'm stuck with Outlook at work -- I have a Windoze computer
just so I can get email -- I use Linux for everything else.