[X-Apps] SCSI / Umax Scanner and OS X

John Bowen jbowen79 at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 28 21:43:45 PST 2003

>Does anyone know of a way to get a OS X driver for a UMAX Astra
>1220S (SCSI)? Does OS X even see SCSI devices like a SCSI scanner? I
>can't find anything on UMAX's website regarding OS X file support.
>
>Thanks.
>DeWaun

I have a client use VueScan, $40. You can even download it to see if
it works, before buying it. Works great on just the setup you
describe, SCSI adapter (Adaptec) plus UMAX Astra 1220S.

I did find I needed to set the Energy Saver settings so machine would
not go to sleep. But that was not the fault of the scanner or the
VueScan software; I believe it is between OS X and the SCSI adapter.

This is on a Blue & White G3, OS 10.2.3.

Still, if you have problems, consider that $100 might get you a brand
new scanner, USB, that may just work with OS X.

John