[X-Apps] SCSI / Umax Scanner and OS X

David M. Shindell shindell at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 07:38:15 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 08:53  AM, Terry wrote:
> Check http://www.hamrick.com/ for VueScan - I'm pretty sure it's
> compatible.
> Yes, OSX sees SCSI devices.
> On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 08:53  AM, DeWaun Simmons wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a way to get a OS X driver for a UMAX Astra 1220S
>> (SCSI)? Does OS X even see SCSI devices like a SCSI scanner? I can't
>> find anything on UMAX's website regarding OS X file support.

I wish to give a different viewpoint on VueScan and Hamrick Software.
In December I purchased it to use with a Microtek ScanMaker 6800
scanner.  The demo looked good, but it was hard to view the image due
to the watermark "demo" all over the image.  With all of the praise,
the fact that it stated that it supported my scanner and the experience
I had with the demo, I purchased it right away for $40 from the website.

The next day I found that it would not do a quality scan properly
because it did not register the colors correctly.  Ed Hamrick confirmed
that VueScan does not compensate for the "slight" difference in
position for the lines of red, green and blue sensors on ANY of the
Microtek models.

I asked him if he would add support, which he said he could do if
someone loaned him a scanner.  When no one offered to loan him a
scanner (he is in England and I am in the US) I asked for my money
back.  He has responded that there is no way he will return my money
for the purchase of VueScan even though he admits that his website says
that it will support my scanner and he admits that the software doesn't
even attempt to support it properly.

I have disputed this with my credit card company, but the payment is
via PayPal, and Ed Hamrick has a disclaimer on his website.  However, I
believe that Ed is "not doing the right thing" and cannot suggest that
anyone purchase from someone who is unwilling to provide proper
resolution to a customer problem.  While his software has good
features, this treatment of a customer is unexceptable to me.

David Shindell