[X-Apps] OS X remote control drivers for Nikon Coolpix

hart at nasw.org hart at nasw.org
Sat Jul 12 08:44:55 PDT 2003

Ah. My son found instructions on the web for changing a USB > Nikon
cable into a Serial > Nikon cable, but of course modern Macs don't have
serial inputs.

As you say, there's more you could do with the cameras besides what the
remote will do. There must be a way. I'm neither an electrical engineer
nor a programmer, but I wish I could find a couple of those who'd like
to work on such a project, or at least determine if it's possible.

> From: John Pariseau <simplymail at ururk.com>
>
> Well, the Nikon Coolpix, 995 family (and up), interfaces via two ways.
> Same port on the Nikon, but different pinouts. With USB, the connection
> is to the "Mass Storage Device", which allows you to plug it directly
> into your computer, and mount it as a disk image. With the serial
> interface (which I believe the Nikon Remote uses), the Serial Nikon
> adapter will connect to a PC or Mac serial port. This allows you to
> control the camera. There is also software for the palm platform. The
> 990 family and below do not have a Mass Storage Device built in (ie, a
> card reader), so you have to use Image Capture. *I believe, but could
> be wrong* that there is some USB control through this camera. I not
> only want remote control, I want remote viewing, and immediate
> downloading. I suppose I could get an IBM Micro Drive...
>

>> We found info about PhotoPC, but as you point out, the hassle level is
>> high, too high in our case. We have access to a Nikon remote, which
>> will has some of the features you might want. It interfaces by way of
>> USB, so I don't understand why a computer connection couldn't. Perhaps
>> you'd have to buy and hack the remote itself.

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com