[X-Apps] Preferences-not being saved

Mike Warren tvillemw at alltel.net
Sat Mar 15 13:22:38 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 01:55  PM, Bill Reburn wrote:
> Very frustrating to have IE get amnesia right in the middle of a secure
> banking session. Doubly frustrating because as much as everyone likes
> slag it, it works in more places than any other.. So I keep it aboard.

Maybe IE really doesn't work well with all web sites, maybe your bank
changed something on its site.

As a long-time slagger, I haven't kept up my copy of MS-IE, I'm at
version 5.2.1. I experimented with a few preferences and had no trouble
keeping them between sessions. I looked and looked and looked in vain
for an MS-IE preference file to see where it's stored. Finally, I did a
cmd-F search on "date modified", sorted the hundreds of files by date
and discovered that someone made changes to

	~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist

at the very time I made my IE preference changes. So, I it could be MS
is using Apple's Internet preference file for its own purposes. Perhaps
more than one application is using that preference file and reverting
the changes you make. I really don't know. Try a web search for info on
Explorer preference file problems.