[X-Apps] Junk filtering strategies in Mail

cheshirekat cheshirekat at cheshirekat.com
Wed Mar 19 05:37:55 PST 2003

On Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003, at 09:22 America/Denver, hart at nasw.org wrote:

> From: hart at nasw.org
> Date: Tue Mar 18, 2003  09:22:31 America/Denver
> To: "X-Applications" <X-Apps at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: [X-Apps] Junk filtering strategies in Mail
>
> I'm several months down the road with Mail now, and, while in general
> the Junk filter does a good job, I'm seeing more false positives
> (legit mail filtered as junk). Any tips on most effectively using the
> filter? Should it be the last filter? That seems logical, in a way.
> Does the filter learn much when you click Not Junk?
>
> Stephen Hart

I haven't had any luck with junk mail filtering in Mail. When in
training mode, doesn't Mail ever note any mail as junk when in training
mode? I have marked messages for over a month as junk, without any help
from mail. So, I think maybe it's time to put it on automatic from
training mode. Several days have gone by and Mail still hasn't marked
any message as junk. Although, now that it's out of training mode,
anything I mark as junk gets moved out of the current mailbox so I
don't have to also delete it.

Junk filtering in Mail just doesn't work for me and I'm so sick of junk
mail. My inbox has been getting deluged with junk mail - I'm getting
probably 100 per day. That's about how much legit mail I get daily.
That really stinks that 50% of my mail is useless and irritating spam
and I just have to accept it. What do people who have kids do with this
flood of adult crap coming in their mailboxes? That's so embarrassing
to download email before I leave for work in the morning, then launch
my email program, and the first thing I have to look at on my commute
by bus is some sick porn ads. I can find my own "dirty" pictures - with
my digital camera I can take loads of shots of my puppies out playing
in the blizzard we've gotten here in Colorado. My dogs are all in
perma-stink, dirty, wet, dog mode with this weather. I've already got
more "dirty" than I can handle without the addition of spam.

I think I'll give PowerMail a little more of a try this week. Something
has got to work without me having to invest so much time trying to
handle the junk mail myself. I'm creating new filters every day. Does
anyone know the maximum filters/rules one can have? I have already
reached the criteria limit within some of the rules because of the spam.

cheshirekat