Junk filtering strategies in Mail

Tim and Karen Schneider karentim at qwest.net
Thu Mar 20 06:31:41 PST 2003

My filtering accuracy has improved to
nearly 98% by using this open source
utility

http://popfile.sourceforge.net

The cool thing is that it is written
in 'perl'  for a unix nerd like me, its
something I can get my arms around.

It runs as an intermediary between your
email client and your mail server

Uses filtering based on subject, sender as
well as does analysis on the email's content

An easy step by step guide to configuring
popfile for Mac OS X can be found here:

http://www.artz-net.de/popfile/

It can put any text you want into the header
of each email, before it reaches, Mail, Eudora,
MS Lookout (as in lookout here comes another virus)
etc:

Then you have a simple catch all rule/filter that
looks for the text.

I also use it to catch emails that are destined
for individual users (i.e. my wifes email, and my
own)

Very cool (and free) utility for macs, I even run
it on my work PeeCee

Hope this helps..

  -tim

karentim at uswest.net