[X-Apps] Virtual PC 5.0.4 WARNING WIN98! SLOOOOW ON PANTHER!

R. Welz r_welz at gmx.de
Thu Nov 6 05:13:58 PST 2003

Terribe. I still have no solution. Win 98 takes more than 10 minutes to
start up. Now I tried to move a Internet Explorer window and I am
waiting 15 minutes now and still see no result.

... Now I switched VPC to the background and wrothe the above lines ...
and Mac freezes. No hints in the logs why.

It seems that VPC's HD accesses are more often (as indicated on the
bottom left HD icon in the main window) when switching VPC to the
background or when getting the dock popping up.

Win98 is so slow to be unusable, really.

Network not tested yet.

I have tried everything. Now I am at the end of my willing to try (and
waste hours waiting in front of VPC). So I get the Update for VPC 6.0.
today. I already downloaded the upgrade to 6.1 from Microsoft. I will
then try to restore and use my Win98 Drive container from the backup I
made. If this doesn't work, I will do a clean Windows install on a new
drive container. I will report here on the weekend.

Greetings,
Robert