[X-Apps] Virtual PC 5.0.4 WARNING WIN98! SLOOOOW ON PANTHER! solved

R. Welz r_welz at gmx.de
Fri Nov 7 05:19:18 PST 2003

Hello!
I boght the Upgrade to VPC 6.1 and installed it. Was 110 EUR.

It immediately found my PC list. I started up Win98 and VPC6 asked to
convert my drive containers. I agreed.

-> No Internet.

quit Win98 from the start menu.

This are the settings from TCP/IP PCI Ethernet DEC 21041 based Adapter
in the Network panel.

In "MyPC Settings the option for SOCKS networking isn't there anymore
so I switched to "Freigegebenes Netzwerk", (sorry I don't know the term
but is is the first radio button of two, the other is "Virtual
Switching".)

I then started up 98 again and changed Network settings to:
Obtain IP Adress (this is the DHCP thing, the mac has a DHCP server in
its Unix part of the OS:)

Entered my gateway, this is my router connected to the ethernet. For
USB Modems or other not on Ethernet there should be no such setting.

Other network settings are:
WINS off,
DNS active
Host: a hostname for your Windows
Domain: localhost.de
Search order for DNS Server: MyISP's DNS server (and in my case my
router works as DNS server as well, so I entered its IP adress, too.
Search order for Domainsuffix:
my ISP's last 2 parts of domain name: freenet.de, just skip the www
part.
NetBios dimmed, so I cannot make changes,
Extended: Property None (could be named different in english)
Bindings: Client for MS Networks.

When you click on PCI Ethernet DEC 21041 based Adapter in the Network
panel:
Drivertype:
NDIS 32 Bit AND 16 Bit for extended mode
Bindings: TCP/IP -> PCI Ethernet DEC 21041 Based Adapter
Extended: Burst Length 16 DWORDS
Connection Type: AutoSense
Extra Receive Buffers: 16
Extra Receive Packets 100
Receive Buffers 16
Snooze Mode disabled
Transmit Threshold 96 Bytes
Underrun Max Retries 2

But there were no changes needed in my case.

I had one additional Mac freeze yesterday after my last posting. Today
I did the upgrade and restarted and browsed the internet several times.
IMHO VPC 6.1 doesn't crash, Mac didn't freeze anymore, got no Win98
blue screens.

Everythings runs smoothly, well,  I can even write this e-mail with
having a running Win98 in the background.

Well, its slow on my G4/866 but who needs Microsoft Windows????

Now I am glad I did the upgrade since the other alternative was to buy
a cheap PC just for Win98, well, I got one offered for 350 EUR but I
already have 3 PC's on my working desk, 2 Macs, 1 PC for Linux and
Windows and it would take
1st - space
2nd - PC's are always loud, the fans in my PC work like a vacuum
cleaner, I was forced to buy an extra case for my PC just to get it
silent!

I someone whishes me to be of further assistance f.e. configure Linux
or another Windows on VPC, just ask.

Have a nice weekend.
Robert