Drive 10 & Panther Compatibility

Albert D'Amanda adamanda at mac.com
Fri Nov 14 06:07:03 PST 2003

On Nov 13, 2003,, at 11:45 AM, Tech Support wrote:

> To optimize, journaling must be turned off. You can do this in Panther
> using
> Apple's Disk Utility. Just launch Disk Utility under Panther, select
> the
> volume you wish to optimize from the volume list, and chose "Disable
> Journaling" from the "File" menu. After optimizing, you can turn
> journaling
> back on if you wish.

Just a note to end this string and to thank you for your support

I finally was able to  to successfully Optimize my Primary  Drive  with
  Drive 10  V1.1.4   using the routine of   booting up on a backup drive
  ( as you suggested)

My main problem was not the journaling issue but the  fact that the
Primary Drive would not dismount. I could boot up and  read-write to
the primary drive , but Using Disk Utility it would not dismount , and
hence, reformat or erase or whatever!
This was new experience for me. I do not know how long the anomaly
existed since I never had the need to configure my primary drive  as a
non bootup volume.

   I will not go into all the  attempted "fix-it" scenarios that did not
work; but what finally did the trick was to run
"Repair Permissions" in  Disk Utility.
And that was a real experience. When  I toggled it ON, there was a
continuous   scrolling in the display window that continued on for a
full 10 minutes or so. It would appear that every file (?) on the disk
had to be repaired.
I really  don't know what that was all about or what the corruption
source was; but after the smoke cleared, Disk utility was able to
dismount the drive and successfully run its verification program. And ,
as delineated above, Drive 10 was able to do its thing

Thanks again for your time

Albert
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 (FW800 Model)
1.75 GB DDR SDRAM