Epson 1260 Scanner & Panter

Albert D'Amanda adamanda at mac.com
Thu Nov 27 08:53:51 PST 2003

Hello All
I am posting this for all you guys that discover that Epson Scanners
are not compatible with Panther
I was able to get my  1260 to work with the "new" scanner utility V
1.25A ( 10867.sea.hqx) in panther,
But I had to do extra operations to make it work properly.

I would also like to hear from anyone who can duplicate the following
"problem"

I keep the Apple Utility Activity Monitor graphic permanently on my
desktop

After downloading and installing the Epson Scan utility V1.25, and then
running a Restart ,  two Applications show up in the Application
Folder:
-Epson Scan
-Epson Scan monitor

However, I noticed that the CPU Activity Monitor was going crazy, like
50 to 100% activity, indicating to me that one  Application was
running.

Using command combo;  option-Command-Esc, neither Epson Application
appears in the Apple Force Quit Application Window for Force Quitting.

Since the 1260 was not operating, I  concluded that the Scan Monitor
was running. Sure enough. I opened and displayed the Apple Utility ;
Activity Monitor Window and there it was!. Clicking on Epson Scanner
Line and looking at the stats pop up window , CPU activity was varying
around 90% or so.Went back to the original Activity  Monitor Window and
clicked on Quit Process ;  which opens the  Force Quit window .Force
Quitting the Epson Scanner Line returned the CPU Monitor to its normal
1-2%

Now with the 1260, I was able to Open Epson Scan, display the normal
operating option panels, preview and scan  normally.
Also, I was able  Import the Scan to Photo Shop Elements 2
Its not all the bells and whistles that the 1260 was designed for in
OS9x, but it does all the basic scanning I need.

Bottom line( as I see it):

using the Epson Driver update V 1.25/ the 1260  in Panther :

On bootup, Epson Application Scanner Monitor remains Open ,runs
continuously and does not automatically Quit.
You have to Force Quit the Application using  the  Apple Activity
Monitor Utility.

I plan to send this e-mail to Epson tech support ( if I can) or call it
in.

For all those who are interested in this post, maybe you can pass it on
to a "hacker" who can develop a patch to fix this problem.

BTW.It maybe unique only to my System

Albert
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 (FW800)
1.75 GB DDR SDRAM