New mail.app in Panther - is this a "dangerous" feature?

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Mon Oct 13 09:37:45 PDT 2003

 From Apple's website:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/mail/

Stay in contact

The perfect companion to Mail, the Panther Address Book keeps you from
losing contact. Say you move, change your email address, or get a new
cell number. Check a single box in Preferences and Address Book will
automatically notify every one of your contacts as soon as you finish
updating your personal information.

Is there any way in apps to keep certain features from even existing?

The only reason I ask this, is because sometimes my prefs are
accidentally deleted or set back to their defaults, often when I am
running very low on disk space ( < 300mb). I have this feeling at some
point I will change my address book entry, and it will accidentally
send 100 emails out, to people who could care less about my info.

Also, the fact that mail.app now incorporates Safari's html engine,
could this be an entryway for a new breed of viruses, on the mac side?
I know OS X is secure, but what concerns me is the tight integration
between all the iApps, and the possibility that at some point, some
java application could launch, and do something. I leave it at this,
because I have no clue what that something is. I don't have any
unnecessary services running, so on that front I feel secure. MS
screwed up, one reason being the scripting capabilities (VB, macros) of
it's applications.