[X-Apps] FileMaker Pro version compatibility

Donna dm87 dm87 at rogers.com
Sat Oct 25 03:18:47 PDT 2003

David Tinker wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2003, at 9:28 AM, Donna dm87 wrote:
>
>> When it comes time, in the distant future, to upgrade to a later
>> version, will my data be transferable?
>

> Yes. When you install a new version and try to open one of your files,
> it will say "this file was created by a previous version, would you
> like to update?" and it will create a NEW copy and leave the old one
> intact.
>
>> Is my data transferable to other, non-Filemaker database programs?
>

> Maybe. Data is data, but if you have calculations and scripts, they
> may not transfer. The usual way to move data to another format is to
> export from FMP as delimited text and import that into the new format.
>
> Dave Tinker
> WhateverWerx Multimedia

Thanks David, good to know that even if I must move over to another
solution I can take the data with me.  I wouldn't mind sticking with
FileMaker, and so I am exploring the possibilities.

I notice the EDU version 6 for sale at Amazon:

1. does it have full capabilities?
2. will it work with Panther?
3. does it work with OS 9?
4. can it be upgraded in the future?