MacSnapshot software

hart at nasw.org hart at nasw.org
Wed Sep 17 08:26:04 PDT 2003

I was just reading about Print Window 2.1.1, from SearchWare. It allows
you to print a file list from a Finder window.

This reminded me of a tool that I've long thought would be an excellent
utility. It would make a snapshot of your Mac's hard drive and save it
as a text file. The result could look something like an outline with
multiple indents, or could be as fancy as a Finderlike view, complete
with reveal triangles or even a column view.

How would this be useful? Imagine if you lost a hard drive to theft,
fire or malfunction. Of course you have all your important data backed
up, but can you remember where all the folders are, where you stored
various applications, etc.? Do you want to recreate that all from
memory or start from scratch.

MacSnapshot would store your current organizational scheme in a compact
format, making it easy to reconstruct the hierarchy if you ever needed
to.

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com