[X-SW] itunes

John R McDaniel johnmcd at one.net
Wed Dec 8 17:40:21 PST 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 6:53 PM, Stephen Hoy wrote:

> The iTunes Music Store
> doesn't have my stuff on its 'books'so perhaps that
> means I can still 'steal' from myself.
> Any thoughts?

Simply put, you can do whatever you want with that which you own. Few
musical artists end up owning their work in its ENTIRETY after signing
"deals."

Those who support copyright laws are not against others giving away
their work, rather, they are against work being taken when the artist
has chosen NOT to open up their work to uncompensated distribution.

As for your deal with EMI being a "glorified lease deal," that wording
would make me think that at some point in time, some rights might
revert to you although I'd seriously doubt that ALL rights would revert
to you. Record companies are not known for their charity.

Although I'm in the recording business, I thankfully, do not deal
directly with record companies or recording artists. I have dealt with
rights and right acquisition issues regarding music for films,
television, commercials, etc.

j mcd

---
John McDaniel      johnmcd at one.net