FW PCI Card for G4/Panther ?

Albert D'Amanda adamanda at mac.com
Wed Mar 17 18:10:11 PST 2004

Hello All

Need recommendation for a PCI FW card for my G4 that works with the
"Sleep" function

Here is my "problem"

I purchased an Adaptec 4300 PCI card
All worked well; driving my external 40GB FW backup drive; was able to
read/write as normal

The problem surfaced when I enabled "Sleep" via  the Apple Menu
The Monitor screen went dark( as normal)  but the power did not switch
to OFF in the Tower.

I was able to recover the Monitor screen, but the display/mouse  was
frozen!
I had to recover via the front panel button , powering to Off, and then
restarting

Physically removing the Adaptec PCI FW card from the Tower returned my
system to "Normal"

BY THE WAY. With the Adaptrec Card, the Shut Down option functioned OK.
Problem seems to be only in Sleep mode

So the bottom line is: is anyone using a PCI FW card with a dual
G4/Panther that "works" 100%?

Thanks to all that reply

Albert
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4