no os9 all of a sudden

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 3 08:48:03 PST 2003

>Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:12:11 -0500
>From: Dave Giorgio <dave at infinitypublishing.com>
>Subject: [X-HW]
>Here is a kicker. I set up a new 1.25 os9 bootable machine with 3
>partitions with osx and os9 on partition one and os9 on partition 2.
>
>So all was well until the other day the machine crashed after changing the
>start up disk from os10 to os 9 and restarting. Os 9 would not boot. All
>that would come up is a gray screen (as in the gray screen that comes up
>pre happy mac icon, though trying to restart several times got me farther,
>such as the desktop wallpaper, but never as far as the finder opening with
>the hardrives on the desktop).
>
>The machine was able to boot os10 by holding down d at start up, but that
>stopped working once I tried to boot from the os9 on partition one (because
>d at startup starts from first partition and once I chose the os9 on that
>partition, it would not revert back to os 10 on that partition).
>
>After starting up holding down option to choose the os to start up in, the
>only choices I got were two: os10 on partition one and an identical os10 on
>partition one. The machine is a newly purchased refurbed 1.25 os 9 bootable.
>
>Has this happened to anyone else?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave
If you can still boot off the OS X CD, at the first install menu, run
DiskUtility. After that, I'd try DiskWarrior.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html