[X-HW] Combo DVD/CD-RW Drive for b/w g3?

Alastair Reynolds alastair.reynolds at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 14 15:09:34 PDT 2003

I have a Samsung SM-332B (12x DVD, 40x CD, 32x Write, 10x Re-write)
that I am using under OS X 10.2.5 on my 733Mhz Quicksilver G4 with the
xlr8yourmac patch.
It works fine burning CD's with iTunes (never tried Disc Burner but as
it uses the same definition it should be fine), plays DVD's fine with
the Apple DVD Player and the Jaguar install CD is definitely bootable
in it.
The only slight problem is that every OS update overwrites the file, so
you have to go through the process of putting back the hacked file each
time, but that only takes a minute.

Just as a note- my drive was originally a region 2 DVD player (I live
in England) but has had the firmware hacked to be region free.

Hope this is helpful. Alastair.