Fix for 128GB drive limit?

albo albo at CritPath.Org
Wed Aug 13 15:07:46 PDT 2003

Hi,
I installed a Maxtor 160GB drive in my G4/400 AGP Graphics about a month
ago, using Hard Disk Speed Tools while booted up in OS9 to "fool" the
computer into recognizing the whole drive.  Is there a better way to
deal with the very annoying 128GB per-drive limit?
The drive worked OK for a month, but I had a melt-down on that drive
last weekend: whether it's related to the 128GB limit I don't know.
I've re-initialized the drive with both HDST and Disk Utility (taking it
back down to 128GB)and one of the partitions won't mount in OSX (most of
the time) and Disk Utility gives me an "Invalid map node linkage"
message when I verify it. DU and Drive10 won't fix it.  Surface scan is
fine.
Any chance it's related to the size limit?
Thanks!
Albo