Laser printers (brother vs. HP)

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Fri Aug 29 06:27:07 PDT 2003

Has anyone much experience with the HP 2300DN or DTN laser printer? It has a
PostScript level 3 interpreter rather than true Adobe PostScript. Is this
likely to cause problems? Just how important IS PostScript capability now,
anyway, since the interpreter is pretty much built into the operating
system? (as I understand it).

Is it noisy? Reliable? Hot? Any problems with the HP drivers for OS X?

As alternatives for a generable small network OS X printer, could anyone
comment on the HP DeskJet 6127 (the only inkjet I've seen that does duplex
printing). I've never been a fan of inkjet printers for general business
documents because of the "smears when wet" problem, the slower output, and
the incredible cost of consumables, but the thing is only $250.

Another option might be the Brother 1870N. I've never used one of their
printers, and my reading on their website suggests the toner cartridge and
drum life is MUCH shorter than HP, but perhaps I'm reading incorrectly.

What we really need is for the printer to be network-ready, OS X ready, do
automatic duplex printing, and be RELIABLE.

By the way, Brother advertises that one of its printers supports Rendezvous.
Unless I'm going to be bringing in Jaguar-running laptops, this seems to be
totally unimportant. Is that correct?

Last question: Are any of these printers likely to have problems with
OpenType fonts?

Thanks so much

Jim Robertson