[X-HW] Apple Keyboard problem

Mark Des Cotes mark at astroprinting.com
Fri Aug 29 07:19:28 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 09:04  AM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> The keyboard on my son's G4 SawTooth has started to malfunction,
> entering
> the same keystroke repetitively whenever a single key is pressed. It
> isn't
> just one or two keys in one area of the keyboard. I assume it's because
> something has gotten into the keyboard mechanism. Blowing compressed
> air
> between the keys didn't help. (By the way, the keyboard behaves
> identically
> on two other Macs).
>
> Can the keyboard be disassembled and cleaned? Is it worth trying?
> Should I
> just give up and buy a new keyboard?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> Jim Robertson
> --

Jim

Three times over the past 2 years a coworker of mine has spilled her
coffee on her keyboard (we have a no eating/drinking around the
computers policy but she always finds some excuse as to why it
happened). Every time it's been left up to me to "remedy" the problem.
I fixed the keyboard by "popping" the keys off of the keyboard and then
using a damp toothbrush to clean everything out the tray. I also soaked
the keys in a bowl with dish detergent, wiped the off and then placed
them on a towel to dry. Once everything was clean and dry I replaced
all the keys and voila, a fresh non sticky keyboard. To "pop" the keys
out I inserted the end of  a kitchen knife between two keys and gently
pried one out. Once a couple are out and you can get your fingers
around them you wont need the knife anymore. One thing to remember is
if you don't have another keyboard to compare it to when you replace
the keys you might want to make a diagram first. I have to mention that
on the third time, when I replaced the keys, I purposely mixed a few of
them up to get back at my co-worker (she's a two finger typer that must
stare at the keyboard in order to type) The rest of us all had a good
laugh that day.

Hope this helps

Mark Des Cotes
Systems Manager/Graphic Designer

Astro Printing Service (Cornwall) Ltd.
3308 Second Street East
Cornwall Ontario Canada  K6H 6J8
T (613) 932-9281 Ext 106,  F (613) 932-1052
www.astroprinting.com