Three Beeps on iMac

Jim Eddy giametti at mac.com
Mon Feb 17 08:07:10 PST 2003

In the past few weeks my iMac (slot load 500mHz snow) has gotten
flakey. It often refuses to wake from sleep, then on restart will give
three beeps then go no further. Unplugging the computer, then
restarting will solve the problem for a while. The kernel panic log in
Profiler indicates a panic happened, but I can't tell if it is giving
me any info about why it happened.
An Apple knowledgebase article says for G4 towers, the three beeps
means a problem with RAM. Is this the same with other machines, such as
mine. I installed a 2nd 128 Meg chip when I bought the machine a year
and a half ago, so my thought is to take this out and see if it clears
up. Hopefully OWC will make a replacement if it turns out to be funky.
Any OSX chip checking programs available and worthwhile?

Jim Eddy                                              James Eddy
Woodworks
giametti at mac.com                                             Princeton,
NJ
<http://home.earthlink.net/~giametti/index.htm>