[X-HW] Rant: These Bloody Ventilators!!!

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Sun Jan 5 02:03:15 PST 2003

On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 06:14  PM, Philip Mötteli wrote:
> Sorry,
> but I can't work anymore on that overpriced noise-machine. For about
> one week now, every three minutes, my dual PowerMac starts to put the
> turbo ventilator in for about half a minute. This captures every
> concentration and I only can overhear it, when I put very noisy music.
> My productivity is close to zero.
> Has anybody any idea, what I could do against it?

1. See suggested software fix. (I wasn't able to find it)
2. Put it in a well ventilated area. Under a desk? That's a major heat
trap. It'll whirr more, echo off of the desk walls, and burn out
sooner. Against a wall? Same thing.
3. If it's sitting on something resonant, say, a desktop or wooden
floor, you'll hear more noise. A piece of carpet or foam underneath
will reduce this sound.
4. Software that uses all CPU cycles, like SETI at home, or Folding at home,
or even poorly written video games *cough* will keep the CPU hotter.
5. Work in a cooler area, if possible, to keep the heat down.

-Bop